Thursday, February 16, 2006

War from "A child's perspective"

Can you spare some time Mr. President?
Mom tells me we’re now at war.
Our land is in solitary confinement,
But I haven’t understood, what for?

I long for the green grass garden,
those days I played under the sun.
Won't you give our people pardon?
We're not responsible for what's been done.
I never once met my father,
he died before I was born.
And now because of the bad dry weather,
we've lost our fields of corn.
Those kind people who gave us food,
have all now started leaving.
Mom tried to explain, I never understood,
she said the country's soul is bleeding.
Right now I'm sitting in a bus,
but I don't know where we're going.
I just wish someone would help us,
mom's eyes have now stopped glowing.
My older brother didn't want to follow,
he said he had to stay and fight.
I asked mom if I'd get to see him tomorrow,
she said if God wishes, I might.
Whenever I ask the question why,
the world is angry with her and me,
tears appear and she starts to cry,
saying "my child if only you live to see".
Mr. President, mom says that because of you,
we have to leave our homes forever.
I still don't know what wrong did we do?
Now my family's no longer together.
Please don't drop your bombs on our land,
mom says our corn fields may get better.
Next year I've promised to give her a hand,
whenever the weather gets wetter.
This poem was orginally written from the perspective of an afghan girl, but indeed, and alas, it is applicable to children suffering today all over the world.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Salaam Alaikum Dear Friends:
A lovely poem :) As writers, may I commend to you my book Master of the Jinn: A Sufi Novel. Alhamdulillah, it has been translated and published in Russia, and will soon, inshallah, be translated and published in Indonesia, into Bahasa, the national language.
You can view the book and read an excerpt at http://www.masterofthejinn.com
In the Name of the Merciful, 10% of all profits go to charity.

Ya Haqq,

Irving

BuJ said...

powerful stuff, thanks for sharing it :)

Rory said...

wow, that is so painfull. i have a tear in my eye, that's all am going to admit..

that is what i call a true poem

Farrukh Naeem said...

Touching!

And btw, I love your ID - very creative.

farrukh
copywriter & journalist

Anonymous said...

few words worth million words.. !

Shaykhspeara Sha'ira said...

Thank you everyone :)

Anonymous said...

Very nice site! Visa purchasing card program Lexapro dopamine http://www.order-tramadol-2.info Volvo 240 station wagon diesel Tenuate for weightoss Saab 1999 di cassette cable order adipex Tranny spread ass Cartridge computer ink printer refill dishwasher breast enlargement pills guide Car audio store laser hair removal maine 0 125mg dutasteride and 1mg propecia http://www.lcd-tvs-with-hd-tuners-built-in.info

Anonymous said...

Hi. Super site todays weather conditions

http://www.medicalschoolforum.com/forums/members/weather-today.html

Anonymous said...

torby
to torebki damskie batycki , torebki m³odzie¿owe , david jones torebki . david jones torebki , torebki david jones ?